Lucas wanted to have a huge Hong Kong MTR toy set he saw in Toy R's, which cost more than HK$300.
Since we had bought him and Linus many toys in this summer holiday, I did't want him to get lose in this fierce consuming culture, I have an obligation to convey the kids the correct concept of spending. Therefore, I ask him to delay his gratification - he should do some saving if he really wants to have this toy.
Of course, Lucas has no income, but what I ask him to do is to cut the current consumption. For example, he wanted to purchase a little car when in a bookstore, I told him it was not a good idea to buy that little car because he should save money for the bigger toy he wanted.
This afternoon, Lucas begged for the MTR toy set again, and asked if I could go to the shop with him today. I reminded him the saving plan.
'But I have money!' he said.
'So where is your money?' I asked.
'In my wallet!' Then he dug out an empty wallet an uncle gave him last time.
I knew this was pretty cruel but I should let him recognize the truth. 'Having a wallet doesn't mean you have money, your wallet is empty.'
Then he took out a toy cashier. Suddenly he shouted happily, 'I have money, see mommy, I have money!!' He showed me a toy plastic gold card which came along with the toy cashier.
'Oh sweetie, this is just a toy card, you cannot pay by it.' I tried to explain.
He protested, 'No mommy, you can get money when you swipe this card.' He then showed me how to get money by scanning the toy card by the barcode scanner which connected to the toy cashier.
I smiled and said, 'Little boy, you cannot get money simply by swiping a card. Instead, you should work hard and save money you earn in a bank, then you can use your money through swiping your card.'
Frankly, I don't think it was a good time to bring up the concept of credit card - sometimes you don't need to save but you can buy, given that you have a credit. Therefore, I just told him how debit card worked.
'That's why daddy and mommy should work hard to earn you a fortune.' I continued.
Lucas seemed to digest what I had told, then he said, 'mommy, how about we play the cooking set now?'
He is such a good kid.
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment